Madison School District Strategic Plan: 2020 – 2025
Background & Development of the 2020–2025 Strategic Plan
In January of 2019, Madison School District began to revise its strategic plan. A Design Team consisting of Governing Board members, district administration, certified staff, classified staff, and parents was formed.
The Design Team’s work was centered on creating a strategic plan that is focused on leading from the emerging future. The aim is to prepare students to develop the skills and qualities that prepare them to meet the demands of global citizenship and the future world of work. These essential skills and qualities, referred to as Transversal Competencies, include:
- Thinking dynamically
- Knowing oneself
- Caring about others
- Engaging with others
District administration is currently building a continuous learning framework around the strategic plan that is regenerative and ensures alignment, deep implementation, and sustainability.
2020 – 2025 Strategic Plan Vision, Mission, & Values
The Governing Board approved the District’s Vision, Mission and Core Values, along with Behavior
Statements, in June of 2019.
Inspiring passion for learning and leading in an ever-changing world.
To foster success for all through dynamic, engaging, and relevant learning experiences focusing on students’ academic, social, and emotional growth.
CORE VALUES & BEHAVIORS
We commit to doing what is best for students as the driving force behind all decision making:
- By holding ourselves and students accountable for high academic achievement.
- By implementing multiple pathways for learning and expressions of creativity.
- By creating a trusting environment conducive to social and emotional growth.
- By focusing on resources to impact student success.
- By understanding that students of today are different from students of yesterday.
We provide opportunities for all to contribute to the success of the organization:
- By ensuring everyone has access to develop leadership skills.
- By establishing pathways to facilitate authentic and timely dialogue internally and externally.
- By offering opportunities for individuals to step into leadership roles.
- By creating opportunities for students to lead their own learning and to take action.
- By keeping equity at the forefront of all decision-making.
- By modeling a culture of mindfulness, selflessness, and compassion.
We develop curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking to drive dynamic learning for all:
- By designing systems and organizational structures that promote learning and adaptation.
- By committing to an environment that values idea-sharing, risk-taking, and collaboration.
- By implementing opportunities for future-focused professional learning.
- By using instructional strategies that provide for inquiry and discovery.
We commit to continuous academic, social, and emotional learning:
- By providing opportunities for shared learning.
- By holding ourselves accountable for attaining individual goals.
- By promoting perseverance.
- By discovering and nurturing what drives and inspires all to succeed.
- By providing opportunities for collaborative teaching and learning.
- By cultivating an environment of continuous professional progress.
We build trusting relationships through understanding and caring for others:
- By recognizing and being receptive to the perspectives and feelings of others.
- By cultivating safe environments where transparency, authenticity, and risk-taking are valued and expected.
- By embracing the humanity in others.
- By embedding opportunities to know and understand others.
- By interacting with others in a respectful and dignified manner.
We champion the inclusion of each individual, accepting their differing points of view and nurturing their unique gifts:
- By accepting that students learn differently and have social-emotional needs.
- By ensuring people know they are valued.
- By actively recruiting, nurturing, and retaining a diverse staff.
- By listening and responding to the voices of our community.
- By providing access and eliminating barriers to high levels of learning.
2020 – 2025 Strategic Plan Goals & Commitments
Through this strategic plan, we commit to excellence in teaching, learning, and leading. To support this pledge of excellence, we have selected the following strategic focus areas, each supported by strategic goals and commitments that align with our vision, mission, and core values. Additionally, our dedication to student learning, teaching expertise, and leadership effectiveness are addressed in the commitments for each focus area.
GOAL AREA 1: FUTURE-FOCUSED LEARNING
Strategic Goal: Promote learning experiences that inspire creativity, innovation, collaboration, and critical thinking.
1.1: Build a trust-based culture that supports collaboration and celebrates risk taking and innovation.
1.2: Develop early career readiness skills necessary to function in an increasingly interconnected and multicultural world.
1.3: Engage students and educators in defining their own learning goals through the formative process.
1.4: Cultivate transversal competencies to embrace student voice and choice and promote critical and creative thinking.
GOAL AREA 2: INCLUSIVITY & WELLNESS
Strategic Goal: Affirm each person’s value by supporting the emotional and physical wellbeing of all.
2.1: Provide social and emotional learning opportunities throughout the day to meet the wellness needs of students.
2.2: Implement trauma-informed practices that address adverse life experiences.
2.3: Establish and maintain a climate of physical and emotional safety, inclusivity, and resilience.
2.4: Respond to equity and social justice issues with dignity, clarity, and respect.
GOAL AREA 3: COMMUNITY STRENGTH
Strategic Goal: Nurture a culture that values positive relationships among our students, staff, and families as well as with educational, business, and community partners.
3.1: Increase participation in family education programs that provide tools and approaches for addressing the academic, social, and emotional growth of students.
3.2: Support learning opportunities through business and educational partnerships and community connections.
3.3: Expand opportunities for multiple stakeholders to inform school and district decisions.
3.4: Increase community advocacy for the Madison Elementary School District.
3.5: Be good neighbors and forge positive community relationships.
3.6: Ensure the Madison Center for the Arts is a community asset.
GOAL AREA 4: OPTIMIZED RESOURCES
Strategic Goal: Provide and utilize our resources to maximize educational opportunities.
4.1: Recruit, train, and retain highly effective staff.
4.2: Identify and strategically direct resources to address prioritized needs while communicating to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner.
4.3: Leverage non-monetary resources to advance District goals.
4.4: Pursue funding and community partnership opportunities.