Positive Behavior Intervention & Support (PBIS)
What is Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS)?
At Camelview we use PBIS, which is a three-tier whole school system.
Staff, students, and parents follow CUBS expectations:
- Courteous & Respectful
- Understand Your Responsibilities
- Be Safe
- Stay Organized
Each area of our school has CUBS Expectation posters to remind all of us what is expected at all times.
– One of the foremost advances in school-wide discipline is the emphasis on school-wide systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive school environments.
– Instead of using a piecemeal approach of individual behavioral management plans, a continuum of positive behavior support for all students within a school is implemented in areas including the classroom and nonclassroom settings (such as hallways, buses, and restrooms).
– Attention is focused on creating and sustaining primary (school-wide), secondary (classroom), and tertiary (individual) systems of support that improve lifestyle results (personal, health, social, family, work, recreation) for all children and youth by making targeted behaviors less effective, efficient, and relevant, and desired behavior more functional. –PBIS.org
What are the Outcomes of PBIS?
- Decreased classroom disruptions and office discipline referrals
- Increased academic achievement and performance
- Improved school climate and safety
Why is PBIS Needed Here?
We have seen a DECREASE in office referrals in the past several years!
We’ve increased our school climate and safety.
We’ve been recognized by PBISAz for our efforts.